Applying for Funding

The government provides various forms of funding, advice and other support to individuals and families needing domiciliary care. Please click on individual headings to learn more.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people over 65 who need help with personal care such as getting in and out of bed, washing, eating, medication or mobility, or because they can become confused and need someone to watch over them.

Phone your local benefits office or (0845) 7123456 for advice.

Benefits Enquiry Line

The Benefits Enquiry Line (0800) 882200 is a confidential FREEPHONE service for people with disabilities, their representatives and carers.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a taxable benefit for people who look after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. Extra expenses can be claimed for paying a third party to provide care while you are out.

Phone your local benefits office or the Benefits Enquiry Line (0800) 882200.

Direct Payments

If you meet certain conditions councils are obliged to offer you Direct Payments to pay for your own private homecare arrangements and related activities such as shopping services as an alternative to giving you community care services. You can also phone your local Social Services care managers who can suggest special equipment to make life easier for you such as grab rails and bathroom aids.

Continuing Care (NHS)

If, following a short clinical assessment, your local health authority agrees that your health needs meet their criteria for funding then you are entitled to have your nursing and care needs paid for ‘in any setting’ including in your own home. You may receive more than £1,000 per week to be spent on, for example, 24-hour live-in nursing, night nurses or daily respite.

Phone NHS Direct on (0845) 4647

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for children and adults with a disability or illness who need help with getting around or personal care and who claim before the age of 65.

Phone your local benefits office or (0845) 7123456

Independent Living Fund (ILF)

This is the top-up fund that works in conjunction with Social Services and pays grants to people with high support needs who wish to live independently. ILF disregards a client’s earnings and that of partners.

Phone: (0845) 6018815

Long-term Care Insurance (‘Care Fee Payment Plans’)

This type of insurance pays out a tax-free income if you become unable to cope on your own. The income can be used to provide private help in your own home. Most insurers offer an ‘immediate care insurance’ scheme for those who need immediate and on-going care; normally you would pay a single premium, with the amount based on how long the insurance company thinks you will need care.

Check if any existing health insurance policies you have would pay the cost of your fees. If not consult an independent financial advisor before approaching insurance companies.

Age UK Advice Line

Age UK Advice is a free, confidential, national phone service for older people, their families, friends, carers and professionals. We have a team of expert advisers who will give you information that is reliable and up-to-date.

Phone: (0800) 055 6112

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 3.3 / 5. Vote count: 3

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.